Dec 31, 2006

Patterson Postscript

"Steve,

As stated previously, I think there may be a possibility of one Hardshel (sic) that would debate you. In addition to that, I would say there would be quite an interest and perhaps quite a number of Primitive Baptists that would attend the debate. Is there any possibility that you would debate Elder Eddie Garrett? He is a Hardshell. Would you do it?

I did check out your situation with Primitive Baptists in North Carolina. It is not a pretty picture according to the elders in the Bear Creek and especially according to Elder Newell Helms. An elder in Kernersville, E.W. Hooven said...and I quote, "Answer not a fool according to his folly." So there you have it. This concludes our discussion.

Jeff Patterson"


I have decided to post the above e-mail I got from Elder Jeff Patterson (after I sent him my final e-mail). I have no intention of communicating further with him, but since I have posted his other statements, I thought I would post this one also together with my comments.

In regard to a possible debate with my father, Elder Eddie Garrett, Sr., a leading Hardshell, I have several things to say, and not only because of the above e-mail but also because Brother Ross ask me about doing the same a few months back.

First, dad and I debate these things all the time over the phone. Why do we need to make it public? The very verse that is most used to uphold debating says, “debate thy cause with thy neighbor and him alone.” Secondly, it is too awkward and not something I feel would be productive of any good, nor glorifying to the Lord. Thirdly, I do not believe it would be showing proper honor and respect to my father to debate him publicly. Fourthly, his age and health are not conducive for it. Fifthly, it is my firm belief that the Primitive Baptists have relied too much on dad to debate their cause over the past forty years. Their history is filled with men who debated their cause. It is only neo-Hardshells, other than dad and Elder Tolley, and a few others, who are cowards, who attack the Arminians and Missionaries in the regular preaching but never give their opponents opportunity to defend themselves. They practice “hit and run” tactics. I give my dad credit for having the spiritual guts that the modern Hardshells lack. He has been willing to defend his beliefs in debate with those he preaches against, but all other sickly Hardshells are content to take “pot shots” at their enemies and castigate them when they try to defend themselves against the onslaught! Finally, dad can get a copy of this book and attempt to answer it, can he not? Cannot any of you Hardshells who read this? When I threw out the challenge to debate, it included the challenge to take up pen and answer the arguments! Brothers, are we not in an electronic age? Why can’t Patterson just write an rebuttal to all that I have written? If all my arguments, evidences, and proofs are so untenable, then it ought to be easy for any Hardshell to come forward with clear refutations, correct? And, why is it, that I still do not have, after asking it many times, the evidence that the Hardshell position on gospel means was the view of the Baptists prior to the 1800's? Would it not be easy for them just to provide the historical records? Also, why can't one of you younger Hardshells come forward and give old dad a break and do some debating?


Dad puts the modern Hardshells to shame. Yes, I firmly believe he went into a heretical cult when he left Brother Ross and the Ashland Brotherhood in the mid 60's. Before he became a Hardshell he believed what the Old Confessions said (as did Elder Bradley and others). He believed in gospel means, absolute predestination, premillenialism, and other truths he now denies. This grieves me. But, I am glad that God had mercy on me and delivered me from this cult.

Next, Brother Patterson “insinuates” many things, just like the great insinuator himself. Elder Newell Helms is my ex father in law. He is a leading Elder in the Bear Creek Association here in North Carolina. My daughter told him a couple months ago that I was writing this book against the Hardshells. I don’t think he took it very well. I had hoped that he and some of the other local Hardshells would have attended the debate I had with Pat Donahue of the “Church of Christ,” but he nor they came (but they did in 1993, after I had left them and held a debate in Monroe). So, I think I have alienated further their affections.

I was a member of one of the churches of the Bear Creek Association in the late 70's and early 80's and regularly preached in their churches. I did this till I took pastorship of two non-associational churches in eastern N.C. I then moved my membership to one of those churches. I remained there till my wife and I divorced. At that time I was given a letter by them (I did not feel like preaching any longer, especially in this area – I wanted to go on sabbatical) to move my membership to another Primitive Baptist Church. I never placed that letter anywhere. My ex was excluded from the church her father pastors, however, for marital infidelity. So, what this brother insinuates in his e-mail is false, besides being a clear case of backbiting and spreading malicious gossip. What did Elder Helms say to Elder Patterson? What can he say? They can all read the book and get the facts.

Besides, I left the Primitive Baptists, coming to see, by the grace of God, their several grave errors in doctrine and practice. That is why I am writing this book. I spent so many years in this group, have had a brother ordained an elder also for them (but who left also), as did my sister. God delivered us all from this cult. I traveled far and wide among the Hardshells. I know their beliefs and their oddities and can well write about them. Who is to say that this is not what the Lord wants me to do? I will therefore not stop but continue to expose the grievous and damnable heresies of this group.

As far as Elder Hooven is concerned, I know him also. But, does this not substantiate what I said earlier? Hardshells are good at taking “pot shots” and then running away! They are good at “hit and run” tactics! Everyone is free to see it for what it is. Anyone else want to speak up for the Hardshells? Can anyone offer a different apologetic than Elder Patterson?

No comments: