Apr 28, 2008

Calvinism Definitions

Dear Brother Tom:

"I don't like associating supralapsarianism with the term "Hyper Calvinism." This is confusing. I wrote this in my second chapter in my book "The Hardshell Baptist Cult" (still in progress):

"In my studies in theology and its history, including systems commonly and traditionally known as Calvinism and Arminianism, I accept these definitions regarding variants of Calvinism.

High Calvinism - the belief in absolute predestination of all things, the belief that everything that exists or comes to pass does so due to the will and decree of God. High Calvinists are often known as supralapsarians, and some supralapsarians are Hyper Calvinists, but not all. I am a supralapsarian Calvinist, like other great Baptists theologians, as John Gill and A.W. Pink, and I believe in the proclamation of the gospel to all men and that Christ invites, yea, commands all men to receive him and to acknowledge him and his salvation.

Low Calvinism - the belief in either conditional or limited predestination or the absolute predestination of some things only, certainly not of all things. Low Calvinists are always infralapsarians.

Hyper (or Hybrid) Calvinism - The belief that God works independently of human means in the saving of sinners, the belief that regeneration precedes faith in Christ, that faith in Christ or conversion to the Christian religion are not necessary for regeneration. Hardshells have a sect that are High Calvinists (Absoluters) and a sect that are Low Calvinists. But, they all are Hyper Calvinists. "I think we must be careful to distinguish between "Hyper" and "High" Calvinism.

In Christ,

Stephen

I am really surprised after posting this as a comment in the latest entry in the "Founder's blog" of Tom Ascol that I did not get anyone to offer a comment about it. I am curious about why.

No comments: