Apr 21, 2008

Where Is This Book?

A few months ago I asked any readers if they could help me to locate some lost books by leading Hardshell founding fathers. I have also queried as to why some of these important works have been "lost in oblivion"? For instance, I have discovered that Elder John Clark, a leading Hardshell of the 1800's wrote a lot of material that no one seems to have felt the need of preserving as they have other writings by men like Wilson Thompson and Gilbert Beebe. Why have Elder Clark's writings been lost? I have my ideas about why, but will save that judgment until I am proved correct.

I intend to do my best to find these "lost writings," especially by Elder Clark. It is my hope to be able to travel to distant libraries this year to locate some of these books.

I ran across a book written by Elder Clark and I wonder if any of my Hardshell readers have heard of the book or know where it might be found. I am also hoping to find the Editorial Volumes of the paper he edited from 1854 till about 1888 called "Zion's Advocate."

It is a book written by Elder Clark in 1873 (a crucial time period in the history of the Hardshells) and titled - "Exposure of heresies propagated by some "old school Baptists," from their own publications: showing their doctrines to be not according to the Gospel of Christ." It was printed in Front Royal, Va., and published at the office in Front Royal.

At least this is what the following web site says. I hope I can get this book from the a cooperating library and read what Elder Clark wrote.

http://worldcat.org/wcpa/oclc/21987003

No comments: