Sep 17, 2008

Evangelism

Wisdom's Call

1 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 On the heights along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gates leading into the city,
at the entrances, she cries aloud:
4 "To you, O men, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, gain understanding.
6 Listen, for I have worthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are faultless to those who have knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.

(Proverbs 8: 1- 11 NIV)

Notice how the call of Wisdom (or the call of the Gospel, the call of Christ, who is the very Wisdom of God) is fervent and extensive. Those who are Wisdom's "criers" are they who call (command, summons, or invite). Notice how they seek out an audience! Notice how they go to the places where men gather! To the "chief places of concourse"! Are these not the same with those whom the King of Heaven sends out with the wedding invitation, and "into the very highways and hedges," to the "byways," to the alleys?

Oh that we all, whether Calvinist or Arminian, took this mission seriously! Oh that we would become filled with a fervent desire to tell lost sinners the simple saving message of the gospel! God help me! God help us all!

Why am I (you?) not out each Sat. morning at the local flea market where thousands could be reached with the gospel by simply renting a booth to pass out gospel tracts? A little investment of time and money! Yet, how many Christians do this? So many other examples could be given! Oh God, give us a heart for evangelism! Let us be the mouthpiece of Wisdom and call men to Christ and salvation through him!

No comments: