Sep 11, 2008

White on Garrett

It seems I got the attention of brother James White!

He wrote an entry in his blog yesterday about my entry about the debate he had with Wilkins. His entry was titled - "Wilkins and A False Gospel Revisited."

http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.php?itemid=2849

He begins with these words:

"One of Bob Ross' devotees, a fellow named Stephen Garrett, posted this on his blog today:

How many know of the famous debate that James White had with Bob Wilkins in Oklahoma City on April 22, 2005? How many know that James White tried to defend his "born again before faith" heresy in this debate? Does James sell the video of this debate on his web site? Does he promote this debate like he does the others?

I had to chuckle when I read this."

Well, what can I say?

First, I suppose I can say that we now have each given the other a "chuckle," for I also "chuckled" when I read the words of brother James. In fact, James has given me lots of "chuckles" over the past couple years, as I have read his blog and other writings, particularly the laughable things he has had to say about brother Bob Ross over the years! I certainly have gotten some "chuckles" watching him wear his various colored "caps"! lol

Second, it makes one laugh to see the literary style of brother James, his choice and use of words. He is such a poet! He characterizes me as a "devotee" of brother Bob Ross. And I am a "fellow named"! Go ahead James, "poison the well"! Use "ad hominem" argumentation! Use "red herrings"! Make insinuations! Accuse and falsely characterize!

No, brother James, the truth of the matter is that both brother Ross and myself are "devotees" of historic Baptist doctrine, of creedal Calvinism, and not your "hybrid" variety, your Hyper Calvinism, your "born again before faith" error.

James said further:

"I would very much like to have the video available, just like I'd like to have the video of the debate with Crossan and Borg available, but when there are production and editing issues with the video, that puts it at the end of the line, at least until the others, that have no such problems, are finished. We don't have big donors to pour money through our doors so that we can hire folks to do these things. It is especially time consuming to attempt to drop powerpoints into the videos, which will be needed for this one."

"I would very much like the video available." Is that so? I guess we will just take your word for that, brother James. But, it seems like to me that when you really want something done, you get it done. Maybe I am wrong, however.

Is it a money problem? No "big donors"? How about a bunch of little donors? Maybe you could take advance orders on this debate and pay for the cost? Are there not a lot of people interested in the issue of whether one is born again apart from faith? How about this idea? Suppose we line up a debate, with either Bob Ross or myself, on the proposition of whether the new birth is accomplished prior to faith? Maybe we can get the video right this time and you will have opportunity of selling those videos? At least you can sell your books and other materials at the debate, correct? Don't you think, brother James, that many would like to hear you defend your views against brother Ross or myself?

Who needs the powerpoints? I have debated many times without them. Can't we just hear you make the points? All the Campbellites I have debated could not survive without their pre-canned powerpoint charts! It is a shame that Paul and Peter did not have their charts!

James continues:

"But since Mr. Garrett doesn't think we've been pushing the debate hard enough (exactly how that is to be measured, we are not told), maybe I will have to cover it after the Madrid debate? I have, in fact, commented on it a number of times, but Garrett conveniently forgets to mention that. He does, however, demonstrate that he is a bit challenged in the use of a search engine."

Well, each person will have to judge for himself. About using "search engines" and my inaptitude there, again, each person can judge for himself. If one puts into Yahoo or Google the key words to find info on the debate, he will not find the info I have cited. Brother James, if you have some info on doing internet searches you want to share, let me have it. Yes, I probably could have searched a little deeper. However, that was one of the purposes of my entry! Ask questions and get answers! Which I did! lol

James says further:

From the comments by Bob Wilkins, it seems the debate was supposed to be made available to the public through Alpha and Omega, but if it is available, I have not seen it.

"If Mr. Garrett would open the "store" link at aomin.org, go to the search section, click on "advanced," enter "Wilkin" and check the "search descriptions" box, he would find this. That will display for him 444MP3, which, as you can see here, contains a rather extensive description of the debate. One will note that this was not just inserted or something, it has been available since shortly after the debate itself."

Thanks James for the help! That is what I asked for! But, what is astonishing to me, brother James, is why now? Why do you respond now? I have written you an email challenging you to a debate, but silence from you. I have written blog entries about you and your aberrant views on the new birth. But, silence from you. And now you respond? Why now?
James said further:

"Later Garrett reproduces a quote from a "disappointed James White supporter." Oh my! Anonymous "supporters"! Goodness. Pick up the mp3. Listen and be amazed. And wonder at someone like Garrett who claims to be a "Calvinist" and yet would support the Hodges/Wilkins position, as he does in this entry."

Does James not think that he has any "disappointed supporters"? Apparently not. Why not have a debate on the issue that you discussed with Wilkins in your first hour of debate? Are you afraid you might increase your number of "disappointed supporters"?

Oh brother James! You are so charitable, so full of grace, so kind! "Someone like Garrett"? What does that mean? Aren't you the insinuator! Surely you know what my views are, do you not? I am more Calvinist than you are, brother James! Calvin believed that faith preceded regeneration. Now, who is more Calvinist?

Brother James, the challenge is still out there. Come and debate the issue before the Baptist and Calvinist family!

No comments: