Oct 2, 2008

Daily-Throgmorton Debate Excerpts

"He says that in Eph. 1:1-13, they trusted after they heard, and that they were regenerated before they heard. He quotes from the book of Suppositions. The idea of a man that doesn’t trust in Jesus Christ being regenerated, when Jesus Christ says such a man is condemned and under the wrath of God. Children of God are not under the wrath of God, they are justified."

"He said no preacher could give life to a dead sinner. Who said he could? I said God gives life. God employs the preaching of the gospel as a means in giving life. That is what I am arguing. He is setting up a straw man and amusing himself by throwing at him. I am here; throw at me."

"The "Old School" brethren argue that faith is the direct gift of God. Yet Brother Daily has been arguing that if the Spirit acts directly he cannot use the word, and yet he has the Spirit giving the faith as God’s direct gift. And this is going into the book. How will that look in the book?"

"Does the alien sinner have to become willing in order to be regenerated?" Don’t you think so? I thought you all believed that. So often have I heard your preachers quote, "My people shall be a willing people in the day of power." (In giving this quotation, Mr. Throgmorton intones the words.) I have heard that away back when I was a little boy. Yes, the sinner has to become willing."

"He says Kirkland and others went off into heresy and a year ago he said he was glad they went. He didn’t say that this time. He is glad they went after they got to be heretics."

He says he has baptized more missionaries than I have of his people. I can’t just now count up. I have baptized several of them, and I tell you this, judging by the way the two denominations grow, I wouldn’t infer that he got very many of us. Old School Baptists don’t have many converts. Their children go to our Baptist churches and to Methodist churches and under the preaching of the gospel, are converted. Then they go back and join; go back and tell what the Lord has done for them. I have known scores of cases of that kind."

"Converts among them in their meetings are few. I believe so far that more than fifty per cent whom I have known to join them went from meetings of other denominations where they were converted. Of course they told their story and were taken in and baptized; they were pronounced elect and all right, and it was believed that preaching had no more to do with saving them than had the saloon. I have heard just that kind of talk."

"He tells you that the word of God is the incorruptible seed. So do I. "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible by the word of God which liveth and abideth forever." "And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." "Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, as new born babes desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby." 2 Peter 1:23-25 and 2:1-2). The same word all the way through." (Daily Throgmorton debate on 2nd proposition, 3rd speech of Throgmorton - 1914)

No comments: