Nov 27, 2009

Elihu Spoke Correctly?

After the LORD had spoken these words to Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Elihu has." (Job 42:7)

According to many "Reformed" commentators, and even some Arminian interpreters, this is how the verse should read! I am amazed at how Calvin, in his sermons on the Book of Job, saw Elihu, and not Job, as the one who spoke correctly in his theology.

I have also become amazed at how modern Calvinistic expositors have likewise argued that Elihu was correct and Job incorrect, men such as Al Mohler and John Piper, just to name a couple.

I am back to writing additional chapters in my book on the theology of Job (see link on this web page) and am taking notes for upcoming chapters. I plan to demonstrate further how Job was theologically correct, while the friends of Job were not correct, including Elihu, the one who "darkened counsel with words without knowledge."

No comments: