Nov 22, 2010

Debate Review 9

Who loves who first? That was one question I asked of my opponent. He said that he believed God loved first as the scripture says - "we love him because he first loved us." He said he did not teach that we love God in order to be loved by God. Yet, on the third day of the debate, in answer to the question - "did God love you in the same way as Jacob, before you had done any good," my opponent said "no." He affirmed that God loved him because of some good he did. What is that good he did? Well, it was his act of loving God! His believing and obeying the gospel, which are acts of love! In Jacob's case, God loved him before Jacob loved God, God's love being the cause or reason why Jacob came to love God. But, this was not the case with my opponent, by his own admission. He was loved by God because of some loving act that he showed towards God!

Also, on the third night of the debate, my opponent, in response to numerous affirmations regarding God's choice of Isaac to become spiritually born and a child of promise, said that the case of Isaac was not a type of Christian salvation. He said this in spite of Paul's testimony where he said - "now we brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise." (Gal. 4: 28)

6 comments:

FolloweroftheLamb said...

If/when you get audio clips, let me know if you would please. I would love to be able to hear the whole debate.

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Follower:

Will let you know, hopefully soon.

Blessings,

Stephen

Anonymous said...

The audio is available for download on ourgoodfight.com

FolloweroftheLamb said...

Thanks, Anon. I listened to the first of your two files. I will wait until I know the full debate is online. I was saddened by the blindness and twisting of scripture that the "church of Christ" preacher evidenced.

Anonymous said...

All of the files are online. If you will simply click on "File Cabinet" you will be able to download the rest.

FolloweroftheLamb said...

Thank you. I will listen to them. Thanks for letting me know they are all up.