Sep 28, 2012

Definite Atonement III

"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep...As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep."  (John 10: 11, 15)

When those who believe in particular redemption and atonement cite this verse as proof of the doctrine, the only response that those who deny it offer is to say that the text does not say that Christ died for the sheep "only."  To them, Christ is simply saying that he died for the sheep without implying that it was for them only.  They will cite the words of Paul where he said that Christ "loved me, and gave himself for me," (Gal. 2: 20) and ask - "does Paul mean that Christ only died for him?"  To which I respond by saying that it is clear, in John 10, that Christ means that he died for the sheep only.  If he does not mean sheep only in that context, then we are left to also say that it is not "sheep only" when he says "I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine."  (vs. 14)  Does he not mean sheep only in these words?  Surely he does. 

Christ does not know those who are not his sheep.  And, those who are not his sheep do not know him.  But, if "sheep only" is to be read into the former statement ("I lay down my life for the sheep") then it ought to be read into the other statements that Christ makes about his sheep, as in the latter statement. 

Thus, when Christ says "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me" he obviously means "sheep only"!  Will those Arminians who say Christ does not mean "sheep only" in verses 11 & 15 also say that it does not mean sheep only in these words?  If they were consistent, they would interpret Christ as saying - "Not my sheep only hear my voice and follow me, but everyone in the world hears my voice and follows me."  And, when Christ says "I give unto them eternal life," if Arminians are consistent, will have to say that this does not mean "sheep only"!  And, when Christ says that "neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand," he does not mean that only the sheep are in the hand of Christ.  (see verses 25-28)

"Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."  (25-28)

If there are rich and poor in a room and I say "I am giving money to the poor," who would not interpret me as saying "poor only"?  Who would not understand that the rich are excluded?  Jesus addresses people and says to them "you are not of my sheep" and says that he lays down his life for his sheep. 

Thus, the Arminian has no rebuttal to disprove particular redemption in these words of Christ.  Their only argument has been shown to be no argument at all.  Those who teach that Christ died for both sheep and goats (Matt. 25: 31-46) are therefore in error and do much to demean the victorious nature of the atonement of Christ. 

No comments: